Skip to main content

An Ode to the Beach

I ascend the sandy hill, flip flops in hand, dressed in my favorite black leggings and a t-shirt. I love the feel of the soft sand between my toes. I can't see the ocean yet, but I can hear wave after wave crashing onto the shore. I reach the top of the hill and I see the breathtakingly beautiful blue ocean stretching as far as I can see out in front of me, to my left, to my right.

I pause, set my flip flops down, and simply stand there for a moment, and take it all in before descending the hill. I walk as close to the water as possible. It is high tide, so powerful waves crash and soak my leggings straight through. But I don't mind. The wet sand sticks to my wet toes as I walk further and further. Time passes, but I hardly notice.

Later, I change into my swimsuit and head down to the water. We measure the temperature, 63 degrees, but that is not going to stop me. I dive in headfirst. My whole body immediately starts to shake, but soon I am used to the cold. As the waves come toward me, suddenly I'm not a 25 year old with a full time job, a load of cares, and responsibilities. The nagging worries that are always in the back of my mind about what the future will or will not hold all but disappear. Instead, it's as if I've gone back in time and I'm an 8 year old again, clinging tightly to the hand of my mom, my dad, or my grandpa as someone yells, "JUMP IT!" or "DIVE IT!" as each wave approaches. I'm doing front flips and back flips into the waves with my sisters and cousins. We are singing whatever the most popular song on the radio was that summer at the top of our lungs, without a bit of regard or concern for whoever might be listening.

Then, we retreat back onto the beach and sink down in our chairs, feeling the best kind of exhausted from paddling out into the ocean and fighting against the under toe. We talk, we read, or we simply stare out onto the seemingly never ending horizon. That evening, we visit the nearby sand dunes, climbing hill after hill to watch the sun set over the sound. As we sit there taking in the view, I am filled with gratitude for the Creator of the vast ocean, this beautiful sound, this remarkable sunset, and every grain of sand upon which we sit. I think of how he must have known of the indescribable peace these places would bring. And that is why it feels like home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to Self-Confidence

This is a picture of me almost exactly three years ago: And this is a picture of me now: Now, you might be thinking this is one of those stories that you see in Weight Watchers ads on T.V. endorsing a diet. I promise it's not. This journey was about so much more than a number on a scale. It was about working towards being able to recognize my divine nature as a daughter of God. I'll start at the beginning. When I started my freshman year at BYU, my self-confidence was at an all time low. I would try on about five outfits every morning, look in the mirror, and then immediately change. My low self-esteem was reflected in the way I talked to people, the way I dressed, and just the overall way that I carried myself. I compared myself to everyone else around me and was constantly tearing myself down. My lack of self-esteem seemed so obvious, yet it seemed like no one truly understood how I felt. I knew I needed to make some changes, but I just didn't know how. Af

20 Days Until Provo!

                   I apologize in advance for the nostalgia of this blog post. In 20 days, I'll be leaving Virginia. IT is going to be SO weird, because I've lived here since I was 3 years old. Two different houses, but they are within 4 miles of each other. I've been so blessed to have so much family close by. My mom's sister and her family have lived down the street from us since I was about 8 years old. My grandparents live about 20 minutes away, and my Aunt Becky lives close by in Arlington. Our family has become really close as a whole for that reason, and I love that so much! In addition, as cliche as it sounds, I think NOVA is SO pretty! Provo has a lot to live up to, I really hope those mountains pull through! My friends and I like to joke about how I'm going to forget what a tree looks like! I'll Google them every day just in case. You never know, I may get to busy to stop and think about what a tree looks like. I've also gotten a great education he