Skip to main content

Can Weaknesses be Strengths in Disguise?

    One of my favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon is Ether 12:27. I've loved this scripture for a long time, but this week it took on a whole new meaning for me. It reads: "And if men come unto me, I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
    I've always been a very reserved and sensitive person. In my mind, these have always been two of my most glaring weaknesses. I've always wanted to become that person who can walk into a room filled with people and make everyone feel like a best friend. Instead, I walk into a room filled with people, and feel instantly overwhelmed. I've always wanted to be the person that can shake things off, truly embrace imperfection, and just move on. Instead, my mind goes in relentless circles and I take seemingly insignificant things to heart. I can't count the number of times someone has in an exasperated tone asked me, "Why can't you just let that GO?" Usually, it's because it is a struggle for me to express outwardly what I am feeling inwardly. I am a people pleaser in every sense of the term, and when I feel I have let someone down in even the most microscopic sense, I can hardly stand it.
    Last week as I was driving home from church, I was thinking about this scripture in Ether and what I needed to do to overcome my reservedness and sensitivity and replace them each with strengths. A thought came to my mind while I was making a (lengthy) list of ideas in my head that caught me completely off guard: "What if what you're seeing as weaknesses are also strengths?"
    "Okay," I thought, "How on Earth can being reserved and sometimes overly sensitive be STRENGTHS?" I wasn't buying it to say the least, until I gave in and gave it some thought and realized a few things that had never occurred to me before. My reserved nature has made me very perceptive. I may not always be an active participant in a conversation, unless you get me talking one on one, then I can talk your ear off! However, I know how to read between the lines. Facial expressions speak volumes, and I know what to look for on someone's face that says that they need a kind word, someone to sit by them, or just a reminder that they matter and are valued. My sensitivity allows me to feel deeply not just my own emotions, but the feelings of others. I love nothing more than to be the person who makes someone else's day just a little bit brighter when they need it the most. I know exactly when my students, friends, colleagues, and family members need a boost in their confidence and how to deliver it, because I have needed that exact thing so many times.
    So, the next time you are dwelling on your weaknesses, remember that unlike us human beings, Heavenly Father doesn't make mistakes. We all have the strengths and the weaknesses that we do for a reason. When you think of how you might turn a weakness into a strength, who knows, you may discover that you already have!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to Self-Confidence

This is a picture of me almost exactly three years ago: And this is a picture of me now: Now, you might be thinking this is one of those stories that you see in Weight Watchers ads on T.V. endorsing a diet. I promise it's not. This journey was about so much more than a number on a scale. It was about working towards being able to recognize my divine nature as a daughter of God. I'll start at the beginning. When I started my freshman year at BYU, my self-confidence was at an all time low. I would try on about five outfits every morning, look in the mirror, and then immediately change. My low self-esteem was reflected in the way I talked to people, the way I dressed, and just the overall way that I carried myself. I compared myself to everyone else around me and was constantly tearing myself down. My lack of self-esteem seemed so obvious, yet it seemed like no one truly understood how I felt. I knew I needed to make some changes, but I just didn't know how. Af

An Ode to the Beach

I ascend the sandy hill, flip flops in hand, dressed in my favorite black leggings and a t-shirt. I love the feel of the soft sand between my toes. I can't see the ocean yet, but I can hear wave after wave crashing onto the shore. I reach the top of the hill and I see the breathtakingly beautiful blue ocean stretching as far as I can see out in front of me, to my left, to my right. I pause, set my flip flops down, and simply stand there for a moment, and take it all in before descending the hill. I walk as close to the water as possible. It is high tide, so powerful waves crash and soak my leggings straight through. But I don't mind. The wet sand sticks to my wet toes as I walk further and further. Time passes, but I hardly notice. Later, I change into my swimsuit and head down to the water. We measure the temperature, 63 degrees, but that is not going to stop me. I dive in headfirst. My whole body immediately starts to shake, but soon I am used to the cold. As the waves co

20 Days Until Provo!

                   I apologize in advance for the nostalgia of this blog post. In 20 days, I'll be leaving Virginia. IT is going to be SO weird, because I've lived here since I was 3 years old. Two different houses, but they are within 4 miles of each other. I've been so blessed to have so much family close by. My mom's sister and her family have lived down the street from us since I was about 8 years old. My grandparents live about 20 minutes away, and my Aunt Becky lives close by in Arlington. Our family has become really close as a whole for that reason, and I love that so much! In addition, as cliche as it sounds, I think NOVA is SO pretty! Provo has a lot to live up to, I really hope those mountains pull through! My friends and I like to joke about how I'm going to forget what a tree looks like! I'll Google them every day just in case. You never know, I may get to busy to stop and think about what a tree looks like. I've also gotten a great education he