Skip to main content

That Time I Totaled My Car...

    After an unfortunate accident last week, my beloved first car was declared to be totaled, because the cost of the repairs was higher than the value of the carIt wasn't until I learned last week that my car was totaled that I realized how attached I'd become to it. Sure it's value was low in dollars, but to me it's value was sky high. So naturally I decided to try to capture in a blog post why this car was so special to me.

    I bought this 2002 Honda Cr-V back in July of 2015, just a month before I was about to start my first year of teaching. I soon realized that this car had "character." For a long time, its brakes would squeak VERY loudly and VERY often, thus announcing my arrival at a stoplight, stop sign, or into a parking spot. Anytime I had to make a tight turn, the steering wheel would make this horrific grinding noise that always greatly concerned any passengers in the car with me. It also had a center console that despite MANY attempts to fix it, was determined to remain totally slanted and never upright. This led to many a spilled Sodalicious drink and stains on its carpet. It always seemed to malfunction at only the worst possible moment. Like one time, I had just picked up my cousin Jensen from the Salt Lake airport and it was snowing as we were driving back to Provo. The defroster would NOT work, and the only way I was able to clear the windows to see was to repeatedly spray the windshield with washer fluid. In hindsight we probably should have just pulled over until my car was ready to cooperate, but we made it back unscathed!

    So clearly, this car wasn't special because it was physically perfect, but it was nonetheless reliable and got me where I needed to go! My Cr-V took two cross country road trips at two pivotal points in my life. The first was just a few days after purchasing the car. My dad and I drove it out to Utah with a car filled with teaching supplies for my brand new first classroom. Three years almost to the day later, my dad and I drove it across the country in the opposite direction, this time with my car filled to the brim with everything I owned, ready to start a new chapter of my adult life in Virginia.

   My favorite memories with my car all involve a sister or friend in the passenger seat, driving around talking about anything and everything. Let's be real, once Abby got her license I somehow always ended up in the passenger seat of my car with her driving, but somehow I was always okay with that. It was in this car that I took my first solo road trip. Granted it was only a four hour trip to Rexburg to visit Jenn and Dallin, but still! A few months later, it took Amy and I down to St. George filled to the brim with as many of her and Riley's belongings as we could fit while Riley followed (far) behind us with their moving truck. It had character for sure, but it lasted through a whole lot of miles and a whole host of memories!

    Even though I had to say my good-byes to my trusted '02 CrV and hello again to car payments, I am now the proud owner of this 2010 Toyota Rav4! I can hardly wait for the new adventures and memories to come!


   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey to Self-Confidence

This is a picture of me almost exactly three years ago: And this is a picture of me now: Now, you might be thinking this is one of those stories that you see in Weight Watchers ads on T.V. endorsing a diet. I promise it's not. This journey was about so much more than a number on a scale. It was about working towards being able to recognize my divine nature as a daughter of God. I'll start at the beginning. When I started my freshman year at BYU, my self-confidence was at an all time low. I would try on about five outfits every morning, look in the mirror, and then immediately change. My low self-esteem was reflected in the way I talked to people, the way I dressed, and just the overall way that I carried myself. I compared myself to everyone else around me and was constantly tearing myself down. My lack of self-esteem seemed so obvious, yet it seemed like no one truly understood how I felt. I knew I needed to make some changes, but I just didn't know how. Af

An Ode to the Beach

I ascend the sandy hill, flip flops in hand, dressed in my favorite black leggings and a t-shirt. I love the feel of the soft sand between my toes. I can't see the ocean yet, but I can hear wave after wave crashing onto the shore. I reach the top of the hill and I see the breathtakingly beautiful blue ocean stretching as far as I can see out in front of me, to my left, to my right. I pause, set my flip flops down, and simply stand there for a moment, and take it all in before descending the hill. I walk as close to the water as possible. It is high tide, so powerful waves crash and soak my leggings straight through. But I don't mind. The wet sand sticks to my wet toes as I walk further and further. Time passes, but I hardly notice. Later, I change into my swimsuit and head down to the water. We measure the temperature, 63 degrees, but that is not going to stop me. I dive in headfirst. My whole body immediately starts to shake, but soon I am used to the cold. As the waves co

20 Days Until Provo!

                   I apologize in advance for the nostalgia of this blog post. In 20 days, I'll be leaving Virginia. IT is going to be SO weird, because I've lived here since I was 3 years old. Two different houses, but they are within 4 miles of each other. I've been so blessed to have so much family close by. My mom's sister and her family have lived down the street from us since I was about 8 years old. My grandparents live about 20 minutes away, and my Aunt Becky lives close by in Arlington. Our family has become really close as a whole for that reason, and I love that so much! In addition, as cliche as it sounds, I think NOVA is SO pretty! Provo has a lot to live up to, I really hope those mountains pull through! My friends and I like to joke about how I'm going to forget what a tree looks like! I'll Google them every day just in case. You never know, I may get to busy to stop and think about what a tree looks like. I've also gotten a great education he