Skip to main content

Until We Meet Again

           On Friday, my Grandma Freeman passed away. She was almost 90 years old and lived a long, full life. She was kind, loving, a hard worker, and fiercely loyal. She taught elementary school, and I've always loved the fact that both of my grandmas were teachers, and good ones at that. We joke in our family that teaching runs in our blood, and it's an honor to be able to carry on her legacy.
           For most of the years I was growing up, she lived in New York, in the small, small town of Hornell. My dad would take us on weekend trips to visit during the summers. In fact my first time driving on the highway with my learner's permit was on the way up to visit them one summer, and I remember proudly announcing that when we walked into the house. We would always start off our visits with a trip to the ONLY restaurant in town (Pizza Hut) and then stop by the ONLY grocery store in town (Wegman's) for ice cream to take home, if Grandma didn't already have some waiting for us in the freezer. I'm pretty sure my incurable sweet tooth comes from her. They had some close friends who owned a lake house, and they would always take us there to go tubing on their boat and swimming in the lake.
           They lived close to some of our church's historic sites in Palmyra. I loved that on one of our trips, my grandma was willing to let us take her their, even though she and Grandpa were not members of our faith. I thought it was amazing and said so much about her that she was willing to visit there with us anyways. I remember I had just visited there with our stake for youth conference and I loved proudly showing her all of the sites that I had seen and the things that I had learned. She patiently listened and didn't curb my enthusiasm! Even though we didn't get to see them as often as we would have liked, she never forgot a birthday or special occasion in our lives!
          I had already moved out west by the time they moved from New York to Virginia, but I was able to go and visit them anytime I was home. One of the last times I saw her was over Thanksgiving break. Even though she couldn't remember my name, she kept telling me over and over again how pretty I was and that she was proud of me. I'm so grateful that I'll always have that memory with me. I'm thankful that she is free of illness and pain and I cannot wait until we will see each other again! Until we meet again.

Comments

  1. What a lovely tribute to your grandma Sarah. She did raise a remarkable son in your father and he was a good son to her. You were a sweet and loving and kind grand daughter as well and I am proud of all the Freeman girls and the love you all showed for your grandma. I mourn with you my dear Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Never, Ever, Ever, Give Up

           I remember when I was 8 years old, I joined our neighborhood pool's swim team. To say that I was an AWFUL swimmer from the beginning of my ill-fated swimming career was an understatement. For starters, my dive into the pool was basically a glorified jump with my arms over my head. I remember we would get ribbons the Monday after a meet for each event that we had placed in. If you didn't place in any of your events, you got this yellow ribbon that said "Good Swim" on it. I had a nice collection of those "Good Swim" ribbons by the end of that season, but it didn't curb my enthusiasm in the slightest. I loved swimming and even though I was the slowest one in my age group and my three younger sisters could each swim circles around me, I went to every practice, gave it my all, and even started swimming year round.           No matter how hard I practiced and trained, I never became a great swimmer. The older I got, the more...

Life Changes and New Adventures

          I thought that I had the next couple of years of my life all figured out. I am a prime example of a chronic over-thinker, and the queen of the pro/con list. I had carefully thought out every recent decision I had made. I was settled at the school where I had been working, I had a good apartment and ward, and I had just been accepted to a 2 year long Master's of Education program, which would fulfill one of my long term goals. Yet something still felt off. Despite the fact that I thought I had a good direction in my life, I felt confused and unsettled. It felt like I was trapped inside a box. I would walk in one direction, hit the wall of the box only to turn in another direction and hit another wall.          The problem was, I just could not figure out what it was that wasn't right. I started taking the long way driving home from work each day and praying about my concerns. It took a couple of weeks of this before seemingly o...