Skip to main content

Last Week's Blog a Week Late

Well, I have to write two blog posts today, because last week was absolutely crazy and I didn't have time to write one! Last week, my Grandma and Grandpa Shipp were in town! I got to see them all the time when I lived at home, so it was so much fun to see them again! Nothing beats a visit from family! On Tuesday we went to a Brazilian restaurant called Tucano's with all you can eat meat! Needless to say, Matthew and Grandpa were in heaven! On Friday, we went to University Mall to get Matthew's clothes for his mission! I went off and did a little shopping while he was getting fitted and such! We got some lunch at Chick-Fil-A and then headed off to the BYU Bookstore! Early Saturday morning we headed down to Joseph to see where Grandpa grew up! It was so much fun! We saw the houses and graves of a ton of our ancestors on both sides of Grandpa's family, ate at this delicious restaurant called Hoover's, not Hooter's (as it said on the t-shirts the employees wore) and got to go inside Grandpa's old house. We saw a field where he'd played baseball, where is old high school used to be, and we saw his cousin Jack! It was such a fun day! Then we went and stayed the night at a friend of Grandma and Grandpa's house in Highland who are currently in Switzerland I believe. It was a beautiful house! We ordered pizza and watched the amazing KU vs Ohio State game! Grandma and Grandpa then went to bed and Matthew and I stayed up talking and watching Psych. The next morning we got up very early to ride the Trax to the Sunday morning session of General Conference! I absolutely love Conference, and being there was incredible! Just being in the same room as all of these leaders of our church who are called of God was an amazing feeling! I felt the Spirit so strongly when the first presidency entered the Conference Center and the whole congregation stood up! It was an amazing weekend! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never, Ever, Ever, Give Up

           I remember when I was 8 years old, I joined our neighborhood pool's swim team. To say that I was an AWFUL swimmer from the beginning of my ill-fated swimming career was an understatement. For starters, my dive into the pool was basically a glorified jump with my arms over my head. I remember we would get ribbons the Monday after a meet for each event that we had placed in. If you didn't place in any of your events, you got this yellow ribbon that said "Good Swim" on it. I had a nice collection of those "Good Swim" ribbons by the end of that season, but it didn't curb my enthusiasm in the slightest. I loved swimming and even though I was the slowest one in my age group and my three younger sisters could each swim circles around me, I went to every practice, gave it my all, and even started swimming year round.           No matter how hard I practiced and trained, I never became a great swimmer. The older I got, the more...

Until We Meet Again

           On Friday, my Grandma Freeman passed away. She was almost 90 years old and lived a long, full life. She was kind, loving, a hard worker, and fiercely loyal. She taught elementary school, and I've always loved the fact that both of my grandmas were teachers, and good ones at that. We joke in our family that teaching runs in our blood, and it's an honor to be able to carry on her legacy.            For most of the years I was growing up, she lived in New York, in the small, small town of Hornell. My dad would take us on weekend trips to visit during the summers. In fact my first time driving on the highway with my learner's permit was on the way up to visit them one summer, and I remember proudly announcing that when we walked into the house. We would always start off our visits with a trip to the ONLY restaurant in town (Pizza Hut) and then stop by the ONLY grocery store in town (Wegman's) for ice cream to take home,...

Life Changes and New Adventures

          I thought that I had the next couple of years of my life all figured out. I am a prime example of a chronic over-thinker, and the queen of the pro/con list. I had carefully thought out every recent decision I had made. I was settled at the school where I had been working, I had a good apartment and ward, and I had just been accepted to a 2 year long Master's of Education program, which would fulfill one of my long term goals. Yet something still felt off. Despite the fact that I thought I had a good direction in my life, I felt confused and unsettled. It felt like I was trapped inside a box. I would walk in one direction, hit the wall of the box only to turn in another direction and hit another wall.          The problem was, I just could not figure out what it was that wasn't right. I started taking the long way driving home from work each day and praying about my concerns. It took a couple of weeks of this before seemingly o...